“Change is hard because people often overestimate the value of what they have and underestimate the value of what they may gain by giving that up.” -James Belasco and Ralph Stayer, Flight of the Buffalo
It wasn’t that long ago that Shari and Hutch had fulfilling jobs in higher education, a three-bedroom house, and enough disposable income to live comfortably. They were also stressed, unhealthy, and so busy that it was difficult to make time for each other. They knew they wanted a change, but they weren’t sure what that change might look like until they started taking steps in a different direction.
In this episode of the Wandering Workers Podcast, we talk about how they downsized to a 72-square-foot trailer in order to make MORE room in their lives.
In this episode you’ll learn…
- How you go from wanting a change to actually making one.
- Why it’s important to set a date.
- How to decrease your possessions and increase your bank account.
- Where to find seasonal work and volunteer opportunities around the U.S.
- How to make—and save—money on the road.
- Why the Bank’s Fry-Bake pan is an indispensable tool.
“When I say I’m going home, it means I’m going to where you are.” -Unknown
Scroll down for links to download the full episode or to find it on iTunes.
Apps That Hutch and Shari Use on the Road
- Gas Buddy – for the best gas process
- Walmart Overnight Parking Locator
- Recreation.gov – campground finder
- NesTides – to monitor the tides for kayaking and paddle boarding
- Audobon ID apps – to help identify mushrooms, wildflowers, and birds
- Sunrise Sunset app – to help plan photography sessions, early morning hikes, or romantic dinners.
Websites With Volunteer Opportunities
- Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF-USA)
- Habitat for Humanity‘s Program for RVers
- Create The Good
Finding Seasonal Work
- Cool Works
- USA Jobs – National Parks, Forests, Wildlife Refuges
- Working Couples
- Workers On Wheels
- Kelly Services – for temp work
- Amazon Camper Force
- More: 10 Ideas for Mobile Self Employment
You can find Shari’s photography, along with a range of products that incorporate her images at galiardisl.redbubble.com.
To learn more about Shari and Hutch, and for answers to their frequently asked questions, visit their website, at followshariandhutch.blogspot.com.
We hope you enjoyed this episode of the Wandering Workers Podcast. If you want to share your story about how you live the travel life, or be a guest on our podcast, we’d love to hear from you. Please email me at email@example.com or reach out to us via the contact form on our about page. We look forward to hearing from you.